The Mission Call

The Mission Call
Salem Oregon Mission - Spanish Speaking

Reading

Reading
Preparing to Serve

Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Called To Serve

Called To Serve

Monday, May 25, 2015

Stayin' in Hayesville

HOLA

Holy smokes I feel like a million things have happened in one week or maybe I am just loosing it. It was an awesome week!

This morning for personal study I was reading in 2 Nephi 10:23 and that scripture made my whole day.  How blessed are we that we have agency.  We should be so happy that we can use that agency to follow the Savior so we can one day return to Him.  Cheer up your hearts!  We really can choose our happiness. We will have hard days but that is why we have the Savior.

We got to go to the temple with Nazario, Socorro and Oscar! We watched Meet the Mormons in the visitor center.  I had never seen that movie before; it is awesome!  It shows how important it is that we share the gospel with all because so many people look to us as examples.

The Portland temple has an atrium that everyone can walk through so we got to go inside.  The spirit was awesome. Oscar told us how one day he wants to come back with his whole family and be sealed.  I looked over a little later and he was sitting on the bench saying a prayer.  The temples are so amazing! It is the only place on earth where our families can be united for eternity.  We asked Socorro if she wants to come back sometime with her whole family and she said yes. We asked her what the next step was that she needs to take in order that that can happen. She said she didn't know. (trust me, she knows!) BAPTISM. One baby step closer with Socorro, she is taking her sweet time.

We felt that we needed to go walking to find people to teach. We saw this guy that was waving for us to come over. The reason why he wanted us to come over was to look at my braid....Must've been the Spirit that told him to look at my braid…..But we met Lalo.  Lalo lives out of his car.  He has been in and out of jail and is at the point of wanting to commit suicide.  We gave him a Book of Mormon and testified of the plan Heavenly Father has for him and that he truly is a son of God.  We did our best to help him understand how he really can find peace and happiness in this life through the Atonement.  We're not sure if we will ever see Lalo again since we drives different places to live, but I know that we were led to walk that day so we could help him understand the great potential he has on earth.  We also thought that he was going to kidnap us….but don't worry I am alive :)

A frustration of missionary work…..We had an amazing lesson with Maria Ortega with a member present.  We talked about how she can apply the Book of Mormon in her life right now and how she can receive her answer at church.  She really was understanding how she could apply it all to herself.  The Spirit was awesome and she told us multiple times, “I know I haven't come to church but I will be there this week!”  We were so pumped.  Maria didn't come :(   She has such amazing potential and is striving to follow the Savior.  We have prayed and feel that Heavenly Father wants us to wait just a little bit longer.  If she doesn't come to church by June 14 we will stop teaching her. But with prayer and faith she will come!!

Transfer calls have come and I am staying!  I will be training a new missionary. I am SO grateful to have worked with Hermana Aubrey. She is easily the most Christ-like, loving, patient person I have ever met.  My testimony of fasting has strengthened as I have been with her.   (A: we fasted like 12 million times together in our first transfer together).  But, mostly for another reason:  The first transfer I was with her I noticed that I was getting impatient with her. I was getting easily annoyed but then I was getting so frustrated with myself because she wasn’t doing a single thing I was just being selfish and impatient. It's kind of hard to understand but when you are with someone every single second of the day every day for almost 4 months you notice weird little things. It was really bothering me why I was being so impatient with her.  I prayed every day but I didn't see much of an improvement.  I decided that I needed to really change this behavior so I decided to fast.  I know so firmly that the Lord helped me so much with this.

This last transfer has been so much greater and my patience has grown a ton. Temptations are a little different on the mission and for me with Hermana Aubrey the biggest temptation was impatience.  But like any temptation as we pray and fast the Lord will always help us overcome our temptations.  I am not by any means a patient person now but I definitely have improved and I know the Lord will continue to bless me as I seek for His help.  I invite you all to think of what your greatest temptation is in life right now.  On fast Sunday fast with a sincere heart to overcome this temptation and I know the Lord will help you in so many ways! I love you all so much and hope you have a great week!

Love,


Hermana Gifford

Hermana Aubrey and Hermana Gifford

Socorro, Oscar, Hermana Aubrey, Gifford, Nazario

Portland Temple


No comments:

Post a Comment